The Expendables. No spoilers.

Any reviews you may have for games, electronics, or anything else, can be posted here!

The Expendables. No spoilers.

Postby Wevans199 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:49 pm

This is my first review so apologies if it's rubbish.

Plot.
Ok to start I like this movie. But the plot is...weak. I guess it's a film more geared for action than storyline. The film starts well but Is missing something: The middle of the story. Before you know it, the films over and you're thinking; 'hang on, was that it?' There's also a little sidestory about Jason Stathams girlfriend which I found a half hearted attempt at giving his character a little back story (even though the basketball court scene was entertaining) Although I do like Mickey Rourke's conversations with Stallone and his sad backstory.

4/10 Poor overall plot saved slightly by good performances that carry the story.

Acting.
I think one of the films main advantages is it's acting. Stallone, Statham et al, give generally good performances, but Jet Li and Dolph Lundgren don't get enough screen time. The actors know it's an action movie and play it well, despite plot weaknesses. Mickey Rourke gives one of my personal favourite performances of the film (again with not enough screen time). Statham was well cast and it's refreshing (for me at least) to see an English actor in s Hollywood action movie. Also there's an amusing cameo scene for Bruce Willis and Arnold Schwarzenegger with some funny lines.

8/10 It's an action movie with pretensions of seriousness but I think the performances are generally quite good. Despite some of the bog names not getting enough screen time.

Effects.

Wow. This film is so action packed it's unbelievable. Nearly the while film is action. The stunts are awesome and some of the sequences are visually stunning. Stallone knows how to write action (if not a genuine plot) and he really shows it in this film. most of the cast are experienced stars of this kind of movie and it shows. The only problem is the sometimes poor special effects which are a letdown compared to some of the amazing stunts.

Verdict: Visually it's stunning. The action scenes are well choreographed and look amazing. There are good performances all round but the plot is lacking. The film is a triumph of style over substance, but it's enjoyable. If you want to switch your brain off for an hour and a half this movie is for you.

8/10
Any constructive feedback is welcome. Thanks for reading.
Wevans199
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: The Expendables. No spoilers.

Postby Wevans199 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:52 pm

Sorry for spelling mistakes. Also I forgot to give a verdict on effects so her it is:

Effects: 9/10 Amazing stunts, choreography and fight scenes let down by sometimes poor special effects.
Wevans199
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Scott » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:51 am

Solid first try.

If you want to edit your posts you can just click the small edit button to the left of quote. That should allow you to change what you wrote.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Wevans199 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:32 am

Thank you for reading and for the feedback. I'll try and do some more if I have time.
Wevans199
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Return to Reviews