Angry Birds Star Wars

Any reviews you may have for games, electronics, or anything else, can be posted here!

Angry Birds Star Wars

Postby AnthonyOstrich » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:07 pm

Introduction
Screenshot_2012-11-08-10-48-37.png
Luke is the only bird you have at the beginning of the game. He's relatively useless until he get his lightsaber, just like in the movies.
Screenshot_2012-11-08-10-48-37.png (221.06 KiB) Viewed 1294 times

Earlier today, Rovio released Angry Birds: Star Wars, the newest in their popular line avian-based physics game for Android and iOS. (It's also on Windows Phone 8, but no one cares about Windows phones.) I think we can can all agree that this game was never expected to blow anyones socks off with an outstanding gaming experience. And after playing the game I can assure you my socks remain planted firmly on my feet. The real purpose of games like Angry Birds is not to amaze you with the best game you've ever played, but to give you something fun to do while on a bus, on the toilet, or wherever you might be bored and in need of some simple entertainment. So the main question on my mind when reviewing this game is whether or not this new Angry Birds game has that same ability and, more importantly, if it offers anything the previous games haven't.

Gameplay
Screenshot_2012-11-08-10-49-42.png
If you expected this not to play more or less like every other Angry Birds game, you deserve every ounce of disappointment you get.
Screenshot_2012-11-08-10-49-42.png (276.52 KiB) Viewed 1294 times

There shouldn't be any big surprises here. Everyone under the age of 40 who lives in a country with widespread cell phone usage should know how Angry Birds works. Like Angry Birds Seasons, Angry Birds Rio, and Angry Birds Space, Angry Birds: Star Wars keeps the same basic formula, flinging birds out a sling shot in an attempt to destroy structures and squish pigs, and adds a bit on top of it. Some of the birds have various new abilities, like Luke's lightsaber, Ben Kenobi's Force push, and Leia's blaster pistol. These additions do have some value, but for the most part the whole thing seems more like a themed level pack than a whole new game.

On certain levels the gameplay would not mimic the original Angry Birds, but instead have an experience more similar to Angry Birds Space. Rather than having boring ol' gravity pulling everything everything in one direction, the birds and piggies flout freely until they get too close to a planet or asteroid and are sucked in by its gravity. Having these different types of levels adds a bit of variety to the game, and help it from getting too monotonous.

Story and Characters
Screenshot_2012-11-08-10-52-33.png
The game is based exclusively in the Original Trilogy. Unfortunately, this mean we won't see any Jar-Jar birds.
Screenshot_2012-11-08-10-52-33.png (222.37 KiB) Viewed 1294 times

Angry Birds: Star Wars follows the story of the original three Star Wars movies. As you would expect, it's not a very plot-heavy game. Like in the original Angry Birds, Angry Bird Star Wars has cut-scene sort of things between some levels. Instead of showing groups of Stormtroopers ganging up to steal Luke Skywalker's eggs, they instead opted to include depictions of actual Star Wars scenes, except all the good guys are birds and all the bad guys are pigs. If you already know what happens in Star Wars, as I presume most user of a Star Wars Battlefront III forum would, you can opt to skip these picture shows. You won't miss anything important.

Screenshot_2012-11-08-10-48-47.png
The next release of A New Hope will feature a lost scene Lucas recently "found" in which Luke constructs a large catapult and flings himself headfirst into building.
Screenshot_2012-11-08-10-48-47.png (221.57 KiB) Viewed 1294 times

Price and Value
Screenshot_2012-11-08-10-53-21.png
Screenshot_2012-11-08-10-53-21.png (206.7 KiB) Viewed 1294 times

It seems that which each Angry Birds game, Rovio tries to include less content and charge more money for it. This time is no exceptions. The game has four worlds, each with about 20 or 30 levels. However, only two of these level sets, Tatooine and the Death Star, actually come with the game. Hoth is labeled "Coming Soon" and Dagobah is a $2 purchase. Combine this with the $3 HD version of the game and pay-to-win in-app items ranging from 2$ to $20 (yes, 20 real dollars, not some in-game currency), this definitely seems like a money-grab on Rovio's part. Of course developers should try to make money, but when they value that more than providing a good product for the customer, things can get annoying.

Overall, this game wasn't awful, but it's nothing new or innovative. I probably wouldn't recommend it to most people, but it's at least worth trying if you're the kind of person who really enjoyed the previous Angry Birds games.
AnthonyOstrich
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Angry Birds Star Wars

Postby Scott » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:53 pm

AnthonyOstrich wrote:If you expected this not to play more or less like every other Angry Birds game, you deserve every ounce of disappointment you get.

I laughed.

AnthonyOstrich wrote:It seems that which each Angry Birds game, Rovio tries to include less content and charge more money for it.

Frankly so does every other publisher these days. The only problem is that Rovio is a developer and not a publisher, so it really shines badly on them.

Good review. As with every other Angry Birds game I think I'll pass.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Angry Birds Star Wars

Postby AnthonyOstrich » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:27 pm

Personally, think I'm going to keep it installed because, like I said, it isn't horrible.

But if you ever catch me spending money on it, you have permission to kill me. It would be for my own good.
AnthonyOstrich
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Return to Reviews