Xbox One: Call of Duty Advanced Warfare Bundle

Any reviews you may have for games, electronics, or anything else, can be posted here!

Xbox One: Call of Duty Advanced Warfare Bundle

Postby Terrabyte20xx » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:41 am

With Halo Master Chief Collection coming out soon, my brother and I decided to pool our money together to get an Xbox One. I've had it for a couple of days now, so I can actually talk about the good and the bad.

I got the Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare limited edition. This was for three reasons: 1, Target didn't carry the Sunset Overdrive bundle, 2, I don't feel like getting ANOTHER copy of Assassin's Creed 4, even if I do get the new one with it, and most importantly 3, it was the only version in stock.*shrug*

So let's start with the box itself:

First off, the extra shading and lighting they use in pictures like the one above, doesn't do the machine justice. It looks REALLY good in person, a fact that I was surprised by when I first took it out of the box. It's also really big.

How big? About the size of a late 90, early 2000 Ti-Vo cable box. Okay that's probably be an exaggeration, but it kinda feels that way. I've got it sitting next to my PS3 slim, and the Xbox one looks like it could have 25% more mass at the least.

A cool feature about my specific Xbone(What I'll be calling the Xbox one for sake of efficiency,) is it's unique start up sound. In stead of a simple beep, it has a transforming kind of sound, like if you deployed a weapon. Now while you might think this could get annoying pretty fast, it only makes the sound when you press the power button on the console. If you use the controller to power it on, it turns on silently.

Speaking of the controller, the AW version also came with a special controller:

Same ascetic choice, which is a plus for me. There's not much to write home about, if you have a 360 controller, pretty much take that and make it more comfortable to hold. If I hadn't had the Wii U pro controller, I might have actually been surprised by how comfortable it actually was. Other than that, it's pretty much the same thing.

Before you can actually use the system, there is a mandatory system update that must be undergone. This is to deactivate the obnoxious DRM that MS was going to have on it before they quickly pulled it from the box. This is quick and painless, provided you don't have MAC address filtering on your router. If you do, it just has a few more steps, but it's still simple enough.

Now with my system of choice, it should come to no surprise that the first thing I downloaded was...
THE WWE NETWORK!

Actually, this was a calculated decision. I knew that my digital copy of COD:AW that came with the system would take a while to download, so I figured that while waiting, I could spend my time waiting watching some old-school wrestling goodness for only $9.99.

So now comes my first complaint. While the Network downloaded quickly, the same could not be said for COD. No, Call of Duty took at least 12+ hours to download. Granted, the system was in stand-by mode for the majority of the download, but downloading in stand-by is an advertised feature. It did work, albeit slowly. I left it in stand-by before I went to bed and it was at 22%. When I woke up, it was at 38%. Yeah.

So with that experience, I vowed to always buy my games physically from now on. Not that I wasn't going to do that anyways, but it solidified the decision nonetheless.

Now the UI is okay. Well not really. you see, it's windows 8, except without the desktop. I have windows 8 on my laptop. I hate windows 8.

But enough with all that, let's get into what you REALLY care about:

COD:AW is... Surprisingly good. I've played quite a few COD games, and this one really does stand out. Don't get me wrong, it's still Call of Duty, but something about the presentation and the additions to movement that they made really makes the game shine. My brother was even able to transform the Multiplayer into some kind of arena shooter using the right combination of perks, weapons, and exo abilities. It's hard to explain the subtle differences this game has, but they are there, and they are awesome. If you're a fan of COD, but feeling the burn out, I seriously suggest at least renting the game. If nothing else, just to have fun while you can.

Final verdict: ***(3 stars)

I'm happy with my purchase, and I can't wait for Master Chief Collection to come out so I can enjoy that 60 FPS 1080p Halo goodness! If anyone else has an Xbone, feel free to let me know. If you got questions about the console, hit me up, I'll tell it to you straight.
Go Beyond the Impossible, Kick Reason to the Curb, that's how Team Gurren rolls!

If a picture is worth a thousand words, how much is a GIF?
(████████████████████▓▒╢▒╢▒╢▒╢▒╢()╟▒╟▒╟▒╟▒╟▒▓█████████████████████)
Terrabyte20xx
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Re: Xbox One: Call of Duty Advanced Warfare Bundle

Postby Scott » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:34 am

3 stars out of what? :?:
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Terrabyte20xx » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:47 pm

Out of 5 stars. It's the only grading system that works.
Go Beyond the Impossible, Kick Reason to the Curb, that's how Team Gurren rolls!

If a picture is worth a thousand words, how much is a GIF?
(████████████████████▓▒╢▒╢▒╢▒╢▒╢()╟▒╟▒╟▒╟▒╟▒▓█████████████████████)
Terrabyte20xx
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Postby Scott » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:43 pm

Terrabyte20xx wrote:Out of 5 stars. It's the only grading system that works.

Glad you're enjoying it then! I'm too soulless to enjoy video games much anymore. I sure hope Battlefront 3 can suspend that in me for at least a few hours.

Honestly after the Xbox price drop I think it becomes a lot more lucrative. While it's early in the generation I find it disturbing how Sony is resting on its last generation franchises still. I'm hoping that'll change because E3 has been a snoozer the last few years. I wonder if they accidentally keep reusing the same script year after year?
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Legion 2.5 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:13 pm

I got an Xbox One a while back, but it was the Sunset Overdrive one. having a blast.
"Geth do not intentionally infiltrate."
Harbinger- "ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL."

█████}╡╞║████████████████████████████████████████

Star Wars 1138 Forum

My favorite dance move.
Legion 2.5
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Return to Reviews