Star Wars Mods and Fan Creations

Talk about all other Star Wars games here!

Star Wars Mods and Fan Creations

Postby Kelevra » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Alright. If LucasArts isn't going to give us what we're looking for when it comes to Star Wars games, we can always turn towards the numerous dedicated members of the modding community. I've put together a list of some great upcoming (and released) Star Wars mods - all of which can be downloaded for free (although some will require you to own the game they are built for)

I would encourage everybody to try out these mods and support the developers' hard work. Even if you can't play them yourself, at the very least spread the word about them to your friends. Maybe one day some of these people will be bringing us the next official Star Wars games.

REPUBLIC AT WAR
Game/Engine: Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption
ModDB Page / Official Site
Republic at War is a total conversion for EaW, replacing the Rebels and Empire with the Republic and Confederacy. The mod adds tons of new units, structures, and levels (around 60+ different planets in the newest version) based on the prequel films, the 2002 Clone Wars miniseries, and the ongoing The Clone Wars television show.

On top of the additions, numerous changes have been made to the way the game plays with new build-pad structures, native factions, and hero/weapon abilities.

ImageImageImageImageImage

CONQUEST
Game/Engine: Mount & Blade
ModDB Page
The Conquest Mod for Mount & Blade seems pretty simple on the surface. Swap the arrows with lasers, and the swords with lightsabers. But what truly sets this mod over the edge is the stunning amount of detail the creators have poured into making fantastic looking characters, weapons, and environments.

Unfortunately, I do not personally own Mount & Blade, so I can't really speak for its gameplay, but I've seriously considered purchasing it just to check out this mod.

GALACTIC WARFARE
Game/Engine: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Despite all of the complaints directed at the Call of Duty franchise over the past few years, the games still sell by the truckload. The reason for this is very simple: They're fun games to play. This mod ups the levels of fun by swapping out all of the characters and weapons with those featured in the original Star Wars trilogy. And they look amazing. Every gun, visual effect, and killstreak has been adjusted to accurately reflect the sort of carnage seen in the films, while maintaining the fast paced twitch gameplay of the CoD series.

Sadly, very few people actively play this mod online, but there exist fixes that allow you to play locally with AI controlled bots.

DARK TIMES II: RISING SON
Game/Engine: Star Wars Battlefront II
Battlefront II has largely been forgotten by LucasArts, but that doesn't mean that the community has abandoned it as well. There are hundreds of user-made maps and over a dozen large-scale conversions that add all sorts of new features to the game. Dark Times is just one of such projects.

Focusing on the era between the prequels and the original trilogy, Dark Times offers a very unique variety of new maps, weapons, classes, and heroes, alongside a revamped melee combat system. On top of it all is a full (and very challenging) singleplayer campaign. If you've got a PC copy of Battlefront II, it's worth scouring the 'net for mods like Dark Times. Other SWBFII mods of note are Battlefront III, Ultimate Battlefront, The Clone Wars, and the Conversion Pack. If you're undecided, you're in luck. It is possible to install multiple mods at once in Battlefront II with little to no conflict between them.

FIRST STRIKE
Game/Engine: Battlefield 2142
A project that's been in the making for a pretty lengthy amount of time, the First Strike mod for Battlefield 2142 recreates the battles of the Original Trilogy with impressive detail. Although its online community is dwindling, its creators still host tournaments and events to this day. Considering 2142 is dirt cheap nowadays, if you see a copy collecting dust on a shelf, consider picking it up and giving this mod a shot.

STAR WARS BATTLECRY
Game/Engine: CryEngine 3
Star Wars BattleCry is the community's answer to LucasArts' silence regarding Battlefront 3. A highly skilled team of developers working on CryEngine 3 are creating their own game from the ground up, closely based on the gameplay we know and love from the Battlefront series. Still in early development, they are looking for talented and creative individuals to provide content and ideas. This game is a standalone project, so you won't need to own any other games in order to play it when it's released, but you might want to make sure your hardware is up to spec first.

MOVIE BATTLES II
Game/Engine: Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Movie Battles is a multiplayer-only mod for Jedi Academy that is centered on loosely recreating the battles of the films. It certainly isn't accurate by any stretch of the imagination, but it does manage to be extremely fun and challenging, and even makes use of a new and unique lightsaber combat system. During each game, players can unlock new skills, abilities, classes, and characters.

JEDI KNIGHT GALAXIES
Game/Engine: Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Jedi Knight Galaxies is a massive project that completely transforms the linear, singleplayer experience of Jedi Academy into what is essentially an MMORPG. With large emphasis on Player VS Player combat, role-playing, and exploration, coupled with a massive library of weapons and equipment, JKG is certainly a mod worthy of your attention.

THE SITH LORDS RESTORED CONTENT MOD
Game/Engine: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
ModDB Page / Official Page
Knight of the Old Republic II is a game that underwent an unfortunate ordeal during it's development. LucasArts rushed the game's development in order to be released in time for the holidays, and as a result numerous elements had to be cut out of the game. Quests, characters, and even an entire planet. The result was a buggy, incomplete, and inconclusive game that largely fell short of the original, despite it's fantastic story. The Sith Lords Restored Content Mod aims to fix that.

This mod restores hundreds of lines of dialog, cut quests, characters, and locations - up to and including a new planet. It also fixes a host of bugs and glitches present in the vanilla game. If you haven't played KoTOR II yet, this mod is a must-have. Even if you have completed the game, it's worth another run to see what could have been if Obsidian had been given the time and resources they needed.

EXPANDING FRONTS
Game/Engine: Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns
Shameless self-promotion ahoy! This is actually a mod that I've got a large hand in the production of. Building off of the 2001 real-time strategy game Galactic Battlegrounds, the Expanding Fronts mod adds a host of new units, buildings, and researches to the game; most of which are possible thanks to over 10 years worth of hard work by members of the online community at HeavenGames.

In addition to the new content, EF effectively rebuilds the gameplay from the ground up by splitting each of the 8 civilizations into numerous sub-factions that each hold a specific role in combat.
Last edited by Kelevra on Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Kelevra
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Re: Star Wars Mods and Fan Creations

Postby Scott » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:14 pm

I might reinstall EaW and see if mods can save it from being horrible.

Awesome looking list :u:
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

Postby SWBFIIIAcolyte » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:50 pm

'Maybe one day some of these people will be bringing us the next official Star Wars games.'
These people do deserve to! These are amazing and I will be checking them out for the games that I do have on the list. :u:
Star Wars=#1
Star Wars forever!
"Did you come here for answers? There are none. The call of Korriban is strong, but it is the call of the dead." ―Darth Sion
Star Wars Fanatic and proud of it!
SWBFIIIAcolyte
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Oregal » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:34 am

I like this topic because I can share my views about Star Wars Mods! thanks for such an opportunity!
Oregal
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate

Return to Star Wars Gaming