Star Wars: Battlefront Confirmed as ‘Reboot’
By Nitro On 14 Jun, 2013 At 09:53 AM | Categorized As Featured, News | With 2 Comments

Hello Battlefrontians! It looks like Star Wars: Battlefront has been confirmed by DICE as an official reboot of the Battlefront series and will not be a sequel in anyway. That is a little disappointing for us and we have waiting for the sequel “Battlefront 3″ for a long time. Members and users have also been inquiring what that means for us here at Battlefront3.net. As far as I am concerned, nothing! We will go on reporting news, rumours and other Battlefront information as we have always done.

Over the last few days as well, myself and our staff have been looking into purchasing a new domain name for when the new Battlefront gets released. I have set up a donation page, if anyone would be interested in helping us secure a new domain for the future. In return, I will doing some promotional contests when the new game is released that will include game give-a-ways and item give-a-aways. I will also be creating a page off the homepage with the list of donators and a link to their website if they wish.

Click here to donate

Back to the news! According to an interview with EA Games Label boss Patrick Söderlund via Eurogamer.com:

This is DICE’s interpretation of what Battlefront should be,” Söderlund told Eurogamer. “That’s the best description you can have. There are absolutely things in the previous Battlefront games that you’ll recognise and remember, but DICE wants to put its own flavour on it. That’s the only way we can do it. Hence it’s called Star Wars: Battlefront, without a 3 at the end. We want to say it’s something new.

But again, it’s going to be very Star Wars and very cool.”

Söderlund declined to go into more detail on Battlefront’s gameplay, saying: “It’s very early days.”

1. Thanks for finally talking about > Star Wars: Battlefront Confirmed as ‘Reboot’ – Star
    Wars: Battlefront 3 < Liked it!

2. Zevilon says:

The only thing I need to say, and I hope the DICE devs are reading this, is do not try to fix whats not broken. The fans of these games liked it because of the gameplay mechanics and the ability to play in 3rd person mode. I am open for new things however, don’t change what already worked because you assume that it will make the game better, listen to the fans for once, after all, we are the ones who will be buying it.

3. William says:

If battlefield is anything to go by this reboot should be very good the frostbite engine is perfect for this game. For me though I just wish they can make or improve the lightsaber battles because they were always a bit loose. If they could make them more stable it would improve the game a lot. Also the space battles were good as they were so not much needed changes there please. I no this game will be something to behold so dice please treat it with respect. Thanx.

4. WJ says:

I don’t think 3 will be as good as the first 2
    I think it might be abit to much like battlefield and not like battlefront.
    It’s not that I don’t like battlefield it’s that I already have it and I don’t want battlefront 3 to be a another game that I get board of when I get to the highst level/rank.
    I want this to be a goo game but I don’t really see it happening especially now that there mentioning the battlefield series.
    Think this game might be a big disappointment to most of us.

5. Hazzaaa says:

Wish Ubisoft made it… Their work with Assassins Creed has been amazing… They could seriously contribute to the battle system for Battlefront. We don’t want some lousy slashy lightsaber that just flashes a lot without looking even slightly realistic. Yeah, Battlefront 2 had that, and it was awesome. Butttttt… with modern technology, it SHOULD be awesome :D

6. BF Pro says:

I’m just disappointed because I’ll have to earn general and get back my elite rifle again.

7. moosebumps says:

beware people, if dice mess up battlefront like they did battlefield were all gonna be very disappointed. and they REALLY messed up battlefield.

• Will says:

They did mess up on bf3 but badcompany series was ok I think that battlefront should do well as long as they stick to the starwars story in all it’s glory.

8. icy cool Hoth game. darn its gonna be good.

9. Bryce says:

Please dice place and exceptional destruction system in this game. i have always wanted to see battlefront with a destruction system

10. Matthew says:

Im glad to see dice take the challenge but ive heard that there will be blood….and last i checked star wars has no blood at any point….the lasers that are shot are super heated and burn the wound on contact, same for lightsabers….my favorite thing in swbf series was conquest they really didnt have a story they were pretty limited in that but dice has great graphics but shouldnt focus fully on that as they did in bf3 and such, but we need footage of the game not a teaser

11. What I want:
    -Third person,
    -Galactic Conquest that does not require online to use,
    -A good story.
    A big no:
    -Combat bonuses being turned into microtansactions,
    -A bunch of fake info on the game,
    -Yearly releases.

12. Jt says:

Lol, donations? Domains cost $8 per year. You have ads. If your site gets any traffic at all and is justified in its existence, then you can afford your domain without donations.

• Nitro says:

Domains cost 8$ a year to register. Buying a premium domain name costs a lot more, which is what we are looking at. Also, if you run your own website with adsense ads, you must know that you need a ton of traffic to make any money at all.

13. Anton says:

I cannot comprehend how come all of you be so unthankful. While the rest of the Internet has rejoiced upon hearing the news, here I mostly observe some snobbish talks. Listen, lads, out of any developers in the market DICE are the ones perfectly suited to resurrect the franchise! We could not have a better option to wish for! Well, other than Sony Online Entertainment perhaps, I admit that Battlefront with the scale of Planetside 2 would have been amazing.

14. Hayabusa says:

Battlefront 3 – DICE knows what Battlefront fans want. They should be able to anticipate that if they create the new game but leave out what made Battlefront Battlefront, they’ll lose customers.
    The simplicity of the first and second instalment: in order to win, take over all Command Posts and/or kill every baddy with vehicular and/or troop work – that’s what made the games so effective. That’s why we loved the games!
    So DICE, if you reboot the game, keep what made Battlefront BATTLEFRONT and make it what Battlefrontians WANT.

15. -X- says:

As long as there is a third person view, switchable to a first person view with the v key in game, like in Bf2, then I’ll be a happy camper. I don’t care what they call it, because it will be spectacular! Remember when you first saw the 20 some odd second trailer…the blizzard looked like a nice cold tundra should. Then the explosion and whirling, soon to crash off screen Speeder comes whizzing past I had huuge goosbumps. What sealed the deal was that big Walker foot smashing it’s way in front, ready to stomp some life out for any poor Rebel that gets trapped underneath.. The aspect was huge, and the sizes in the this game will no doubt be enormous. Jet packs might actually let you fly a bit longer just to be able to cover more of the distances. The Walker in the trailer must be at least 3 to 5 times bigger than the At’s in BF2. A Dark Trooper can jump on top of the AT in BF2 in 2 jet pack bursts *full fuel load*, and in this game, it would take 8-12 jet pack bursts to cover the same distance. these maps will be huge, for the most part, I’m guessing. There will probably be a lot of vehicles to help cover the space, area, distance of the maps. Rolling will probably be included, lock on, weapon/special abilities cloak, probably shields for personal, Force. Maybe assassin droids/Fetts. IG-88 type droid was shown as a pic from one of the cancelled games so at least the idea was out. I ran into some trippy “zombie” Wars pics, like Chewie and it looked awesome, maybe an idea… Creative interactive environments is where it’s at. I still play BF2 regularly and controlling the Bridge is still absolutely hilarious, all the enemies running across the bridge then the controls are shot and down they go lol every time. Han should be able to be thawed out in Jaba’s Palace and played as a Hero, Fett’s backpack rocket should be able to be fired. Lot’s of Force powers because as in 2, you can limit who and when can play Hero if at all, so people need not worry about having Hero removed, just goto a diff server lol.

16. Well, I’m not exited for this at all. I was eagarly anticipating BFIII for years and I have only been given disappointment. I know what kind of games EA publishes, and I don’t like them at all. And I know the tendancey of the gaming industry these days to make really shitty and lacking games.

17. Tim says:

Just because they’re calling it “something new” or “a reboot” doesn’t ean it won’t be wa t we wanted in a BF3, i have been think about this since the announcement and really what difference is it going to make, most of just want, Amazing graphics, better gameplay, new areas and that it stays true to the original game and leaves in what made the original games what they we’re had they called it Battlefront 3, I guess this would mean we could be a little more sure that all of is was going to be in the game, but we haven’t even seen a damn screenshot so lets not get ahead of ourselves.

18. Tom says:

To be fair I have hopeful but mixed opinions on this. Having played both series quite extensively I would be more than happy for the new game to be a mix of the two. My biggest hope is that they will choose to let us use the full destructibility of the frostbite 3 engine in the starwars universe. Imagine being able to blow another entrance to a command point that highly contested or realistic damage to structures and vehicles ( battle damage appearing on the at-at walkers on hoth!) also next gem will allow so many more players! (Battlefield 4 will have 64 player matches on both the new consoles launching this year!) as long as its recognizable in its most core of gameplay I feel it will turn out amazing! DICE is a very capable studio with deep experience in the large multiplayer type games!

19. Marre says:

Please dont screw it up and make it to much like battlefield

20. ggctuk says:

Still no clues as to their intentions. Let’s face it, their interpretations might be close or very far off. Rebellion showed us their interpretations with the Squadron games, and they were mid-ground new-but-old. I’m still worried for single player, but I have every confidence otherwise.

21. Dave says:

I can’t wait for this game! The best thing about it: DICE is doing it! I am looking froward to playing this, as the multi-player gameplay in the previous battlefronts was stunning! If you all are getting a PS4, post your usernames when you make them on PS$, if the PS3 ones cannot transfer.

22. EagleGamer15 says:

Calling it a reboot makes me very wary. In all honesty, I’m not too familiar with the Battlefield games, or DICE in general, so I’m withholding opinions based on that, but you can’t really “reboot” Battlefront without changing what makes it Battlefront. The only reasons you reboot a franchise is to change the story (or at least origin story) to 1) make it appeal to a new generation (which we haven’t reached yet) or 2) try and retell the story in a better written, more consistent way. And Battlefront doesn’t HAVE an original story (well, the 501st, but who REALLY cared about that?). Which means all you’ve got left is game mechanics to change, and that’s (generally) bad. Still, holding out hope!

• Wenis says:

Im wary too. Technically I know this game will be great. But I look at the difference between Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 2 as an example of why this doesnt mean the game will be fun… in BF2, it was made around the same time as SWBF2, and BF2 was one of my favorite games of all time (just behind SWBF2 actually). Then DICE really changed up the formula of Battlefield with BC1 and BC2, and it wasn’t as good. But then BF3 finally came out, and while from a technical standpoint it was amazing, it just wasn’t as fun as BF2. I would much rather then focus on making the game as fun as possible, but unfortunately DICE seems to focus on things other than that these days… hopefully Im wrong though, and that it’ll be technically impressive AND amazingly fun

• Wanis, I couldn’t agree more.
        Technically BF3 is fantastic – beautiful to look at. If only they had simply incorporated the new graphics onto BF2 – instead they made it into simply another clone of MoH or CoD. They may have well called it MoD or CoH. They killed the legacy of BF.
        That being said, the visuals are awesome and applied to the Star Wars environment is likely to make one heck of a great looking game. Beyond that though… I expect it will be just another clone of MoH/CoD – SWMoD maybe. But not having played Battlefront since the first one, I will certainly be adding this to the collection – just hope it is not another disappointing DICE offering.

• TomzEpic987 says:

Yeah, they focus on making the game like a Battlefield, like in real life.(The game is called Battlefield!)It’s like the game critics complaining about the dust in Battlefield 3! It’s supposed to be there! It’s supposed to be as real as possible, to give the gamer the best experience. I don’t recall soldiers having fun when fighting and killing other people.

Hope this helps! :)

• JasonHellfish says:

i wouldn’t worry about swbf3 and bf3 similarities. The engine in BF3 gives you kind of a real world vibe. Sort of like what would that enviorment be if I were there. If the BF3 engine is used, it wont change the feel of the Star Wars universe. Im a mediocre BF3 player and was a longtime SWBF clan team member(probably mediocre then to).

• Jamie says:

as long as its splitscreen and has galactic conquest of some sort ill be okay, but i doubt they will have conquest. its probably gonna be all battles…

• lathon says:

do not be worried. in battlefield you can drive tanks and fly helicopters and drive bouts and fly planes and run ground support. That is what i remember from hoth, flying the snow speeders and driving the at-at. If you want any developer to make battlefront, it is dice. battlefield is the most realistic game i have ever seen. and battlefront will be made with the frostbite 3 not the frostbite 2 engine. dice will do a great job with this title, probobly make the others look like crap
      , if that is possible.

• TomzEpic987 says:

Reply to EagleGamer15:

The ‘reboot’ side of it is the part where they will remake Star Wars Battlefront:Elite Squadron, but only call it Star Wars: Battlefront. I recognized the gameplay from Elite Squadron, and assumed it might of been a new trailer, maybe a remake of the game?

Also, Disney and EA have agreed to a multi-year games contract, to allow DICE, an EA owned game developer, to create the next installment for the Star Wars Battlefront games. DICE have worked on the Battlefield franchise, and are now close to releasing their latest game; Battlefield 4. This leaves a gap for them to develop and release the game.

Also, DICE would be the likely candidates to make the game, as Battlefront was originally based on a mod for Battlefield, and then the developers of the mod were called in to help with Battlefront itself. Also, DICE uses the Frostbite Engine, one of the best around, for its stunning graphics, large scale maps and battles, air combat and destructible environments.

I hope I have answered your question. :)
      Here are the links for the conformation of the agreement, and some supposed gameplay footage/trailer:

EA/Disney contact:

Gameplay/Trailer:

Hope it helps! :)

• TomzEpic987 says:

I am sorry for not including these in my origional comment, but anyways, these are the 3 EA developers, and what games they will most likely be developing:

– DICE : Star Wars Battlefront 3

– Visceral Games : Star Wars 1313

– BioWare : Star Wars the Old Republic Stuff

Also, the games made by DICE and Visceral will run on the Frostbite 3 Engine.

!!!WARNING!!!

DICE, Visceral Games, BioWare and the Frostbite engine are ALL CONFIRMED. However the games that the developers are making ARE NOT CONFIRMED, and are ONLY PRESUMED, depending on the developers experience with the production of other games in their franchises.

Here is the YouTube link to the video:

Hope it helps! :)

PS: My XBOX Gamertag is TomzEpic987, and I am a HUGE Star Wars fan!

23. Ascertes says:

I look at Battlefield, then I look at Battlefront. I see two entirely separate games. As nice as it is to have this game in the hands of a very professional company, I am not optimistic as I feel it will not have that battlefront feel.

Perhaps I’m being too pessimistic, but my hopes are not high.

24. Neruthul says:

I’ve actually said to friends in the past, “Wouldn’t it be amazing if DICE were to make the next Battlefront? Too bad that will never happen…” And now it is!!! If anyone has doubts then you you need to understand a few things – The original Battlefront was designed around Battlefield’s (DICE)structure. It’s as if you had a poetry homework assignment due and Poe cam back from the dead to write it for you! There is no studio more capable and more qualified than DICE and they will do everything in their power to give fans an amazing experience. When I heard the rumors that Spark Unlimited may be doing it I felt nothing but despair. Legendary was a painful experience to say the least. It may not be exactly what we expect, it may not even be 3rd person, who knows? But I’m sure that DICE isn’t going to go out of their way to let us down.

• Dave says:

It is going to be a first person AND third person game. It’s going to be similar to the way Battlefront two was played, in terms of first and third person angles! It is going to be great!

• Implied says:

SWBF/2 were based on DICE’s earlier work, BF Vietnam, BF2, BF 2142. DICE has now gone in an entirely different direction since the Bad Company spin-off Series. While the original work may have been based on their older work, at this point the connection between SWBF & DICE is like saying the French are Germans because the Franks came from Germany. Completely different things.

25. LK says:

I am so excited about this game. Honestly, they could have made the exact same game as Battlefront 2 and made it with slightly better graphics and I would be pumped… The multiplayer in these games is classic, and never gets old! I just wish people still played it on the PS2!

26. Honestly, both Battlefront games are standalone games since #2 is basically just an upgraded #1.

27. As long as it feels like Battlefront, do what you want with it. I liked some of the news I’ve seen the past few days, and I think our beloved series is in good hands. Good luck DICE, make us proud.

28. jumpyhat3 says:

calling it a reboot is fine with me just as long as they call it a battlefront game,I’m cool with that.BTW when I have this game in my hands I’ll throw a MASSIVE star wars party!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29. I don’t mind if it’s a reboot of the franchise, for all we know this could turn into the next Battlefield, a game every 2 or three years.

30. Mathew says:

I know we were waiting for Battlefront 3
    but a reboot suits me well
    It’ll be better than having to play Elite and Renegade for those who don’t have a ps2
    *me :(*

31. Tyler says:

Well reboot or not, I’m still glad we’re getting a new Battlefront. I know we only have the E3 trailer to go on right now, but it looks so good; I think we’ll get an absolutely amazing game out of this!

Thanks for keeping us updated on all the latest Battlefront news, Nitro. I’m looking forward to future updates, especially when they reach a point where they can release gameplay footage as well as a release date!

• Nitro says:

You’re very welcome! Yeah I’m super excited for this game as well!

• Tyler says:

It will be even better as they get development started; then we’ll get more trailers, and gameplay footage! I’m really looking forward to see what the gameplay will be like, since they say DICE will add its own ingredients to the mix.