EA Comments on why DICE is perfect for Star Wars: Battlefront

By Nitro On 18 Jun, 2013 At 02:54 PM | Categorized As Featured, News | With 2 Comments

Hello my fellow Battlefrontians, I hope that you are getting as stoked for this new Battlefront as I am! EA are still being stingy with any information they may have in regards to the new Star Wars: Battlefront. IGN.com on the other hand has been able to get some pretty good info over the course of E3 from EA employees. Today, they released a great little explanation from EA Labels president Frank Gibeau on why DICE is going to be a perfect fit for Star Wars: Battlefront.

“Battlefront is a vehicle experience, it’s a character experience. DICE has proven, in how they develop Battlefield, as far as being able to do air, land, sea combat, all the way up to F-18s fighting,” Gibeau told IGN. “They’ve been able to demonstrate through the Frostbite tech and through their design capabilities and talent that they can create these huge, epic set-piece wars. That’s kind of the dream of Battlefront. Hoth, the battle of Hoth. You’ve got space, you’ve got the surface, you’ve got infantry, you’ve got AT-ATs. That’s the table stakes that they come in with. They know how to do that. They’re really good at it.”

“But they’re not just going to ape what we’ve seen in the past,” Gibeau continued. “They’re going to bring their own sensibilities and design ideas. We want to innovate. We want to try new things. You guys had a blog on your site that said, ‘hey, what would you like to see in Battlefront?’ There’s a lot of stuff in there that we’re planning on doing. There’s a lot of new stuff that we’re looking at too. From our perspective, it’s capturing that epic, Star Wars, all-out huge scale. That’s what we’ll go after.”

Sounds like they’re right, DICE is looking like they’re going to be a perfect fit for this reboot!

Lets hear your thoughts!

Source: IGN.com

I would also like to thank everyone who has donated to help Battlefront3.net acquire a new domain name for the release of Star Wars: Battlefront. We are currently at 75$ towards our goal of 350$!

Click here to donate

1. EPIC GAMER ON SWB 2 says:

It is obvious that it is possible with land to space transactions and being able to go into capital ships and destroy the main reactor because they have done so in Star Wars Battlefront: ELITE SQUADRON on PSP and DSI. Hopefully DICE will make it even better by being able to control ships and attack the bridge and have it like a real ship with jail cells and heaps of other things you would find in an actual ship. THAT WOULD BE EEPIIICCC! They also had escae pods on PSP to the ground and it was AWESOME!!!! You could start in space with a transport and land it on the surface and spawn troops from it! Being able to repeat the process is an entirely different matter as the graphics were really quite bad. (of course cause its a PSP) But it is a really cool game and the things like being able to customize your own caracter just made it that extra special. Hopefully they dont stuff up the campaign bit with a boring stroy but I bet you if they get this game right tghey will be sooooo rich!

2. lucasarts532 says:

Star Wars Battlefront 1&2 where always about being a commando who can tank through the enemy lines, be it through a tie fighter, a jetpack or just “run and gunning”. In my opinion “Bapspin Platformus” in Battlefront 1 was genius! You have a large land battle, with dozens of compatriots to fight alongside and command. It made you feel powerful. I think this is key in Battlefront 3 as well as the feeling that (forgive me for the cheesy rip off) “you are the controller”. Thanks!

3. Dman says:

for those that dont know, they had ground to space combat on a battlefront for the psp.

4. Commando07 says:

Think of it this way with the amazing “levolution” and destruction dice with the frostbite engine has created, you could make this game great. Say you have a land to space battle going on, once you infiltrate the enemy ship and take out it engines shields and life support it come crashing down to the planet, completly changing the land battle. I’d also like to see more detail in the large cruisers.

5. Anthony says:

I truly hope that when it says they’re going to innovate they aren’t going to start designing some completely new weapon or vehicle. You guys can try new things, but please nothing that strays too far from Star Wars. Also, please do not forget to implement Instant Action as well as the Hero Selection <3

6. Worvern Scar says:

I agree with Blaise belic. The thing I DID NOT LIKE about star wars battlefront 1 and 2 is that the opposing armies were extremely small. 16v16 is anything but fun. It gets boring very fast and in actuality a fight with armies that size is not going to happen. something like Blaise belic suggested is 200 vs 200 bots. being the 200 where players will be on i realize it’s going to be pretty hard to get 200 people to play a match so probably the max limit for eatch match is 50 players and the rest are bots to fill up the rest to get the 200 army size and of course same goes for the other opposing team. 50 player limit and the rest are bots. In games where you fight only other players it can get unfair very fast. The other team may have extremely experienced players and the other team most of them are inexperienced. This makes for unfair matches that won’t be much fun. Also a balancing feature. If too many player leave one team, the game auto balances it getting the players from the other team and put them on the other. Balanced teams in my experience with games like these makes it very fun and fair. While I know some situations such as the game auto balances at a bad time when one team is winning by a lot and the other is losing badly and players get kicked to the losing team to balance the teams it will probably get some players frustrated butI have an idea when it auto balances, It balances out the score of each team (to a set limit) so if the situation I listed above happens players will be more content because now each side has a chance to win.

7. Worvern Scar says:

Oh yes this is how I imagine vehicle coming in for battlefront 3. They come in form the hulking drop ships from the battleships from space. What I would like for it to be even more epic, is that they can be controlled by the player. Every vehicle can be controlled, even the giant space ships as well, but controlling key items such as the spaceship itself some inexperienced player or someone who wants to fool around and possibly ram that ship into the planet need to be taken into consideration. probably put on some safety features that won’t allow the player to destroy the ship in a crash landing or make him keep the ship in a fixed location. But I trust you will know how to exercise these restrictions to a limit that won’t make the game less fun.

8. Abomb says:

This is a dream come true!! The 2 games I play the most on my 360 are Battlefield 3 and Battlefront 2!! (Gotta love backwards compatibility!!) As long as I can take off from the ground in an X-Wing, an then go blow up the Death Star with it, I will die a happy man!!!

9. M3 says:

I have been waiting for years for this. I still hope it will include taking over commend posts. BF was the first game I ever played online and it created so many friends.
    Does anyone know if it can be played on the 360?

10. One thing I want is a jedi mode. Where it’s just Jedi vs Sith. In Star Wars Battlefront 2, you couldn’t play as jedi. There wasn’t a hunt mode for Courusant Jedi vs Clones.

I would like ground and space battles together, but I don’t know how it would work.

11. Blaise belic says:

Dice needs to remember instant action, different character models on different maps and 200 v 200 bots on instant action/campaign I dot want 15 v 15 with a lot of respawns. Don’t mess this game up or your gonna go to hell

12. Ace says:

Well there are good things about the new Battlefront and bad things. The way I see it there’s a huge chance this game will be a FPS based on the trailer and DICE’s past history, which is disappointing, but SWBF2 could be switch to FP anyway. Good news in that enviroments will be amazing, just look at BF4. Forstbite is a godly engine. I also agree with other users, that splitscreen is a must, so many of today’s game have gotten rid of splitscreen, it feels like the only way you can play 2 player on consle games is Halo or COD. Have hope however because EA generally listens to it’s players unlike Lucasarts (no offense except look what happened to SWBF3)I also heard rumors that while players are in waiting for EA’s SWBF, Disney is going to release the old SWBF3 that what stopped near completion, it could just be a rumor. Fingers cross 🙂

13. Josiah Davis says:

This game can have ground to space battles.
    1. Battlefield 4 will run at 60 fps on the next gen systems.
    2. Battlefield 4 will have 64 player online.
    3. It’s gonna probably be a next gen game.
    4. Dice is making the game.
    5. They did it on the PSP -.-
    Also to all those on the comments that
    think that Star Wars Battlefront will not
    need ground to space battles are dead
    wrong.

14. Jowiz says:

This game can have ground to space battles.
    1. Battlefield 4 will run at 60 fps on the next gen systems.
    2. Battlefield 4 will have 64 player online.
    3. It’s gonna probably be a next gen game.
    4. Dice is making the game.
    5. They did it on the PSP -.-
    Also to all those on the comments that
    think that Star Wars Battlefront will not
    need ground to space battles are dead
    wrong.

15. AdamAB says:

God damn this look exciting!

16. Shawner says:

i would rather not have ground to space battles and just have huge ground battles and huge space battles and have them separate.

• Truewarrior says:

I agree. Unless the number of players is just huge… i’d prefer no transition between the 2. it would be just too much space and too much time spent wandering around.

Still pumped as ever though. I trust dice enough with this gem of a series. And it seems right up their alley.

• Some guy says:

I don’t think they will integrate them if so that would be cool but he could just be meaning joining space hoth and hoth and saying the battle of hoth in general or he might just be referring to the whatever you call them fighters you use to bring down at-ats not space but still.

17. DarthMenith says:

As mush as I like the idea of Ground-to-Space battles, is it even possible? I just can’t see it happening. :/

• Implied says:

Didn’t Free Radical design some such Tech before they went bankrupt & were bought out by Crytek? Or wrong Studio?

I do remember someone made such tech however. & for SWBF3 no less.

• Alex says:

They have to have ground to space battles. I may be wrong in saying everyone but, I think everyone wants that feature most. I think the game will be a bust without it. The hour gameplay shows that it is possible so I have high hopes, and expectations. My biggest concern is the engine. Battlefield runs at around 30fps.

I guess its still a step up, and worth it for ground to space.

• Ean says:

The frostbite engine is also gonna be used for next gen consoles my friend… Sooo if you can imagine Battlefield 4… which is running at 60fps.. then our precious Battlefront will as well 🙂

• There’s no serious game that gives the possibility to continuously fly from land to space … it’s the best thing that can happen to star wars games, especially to Battlefront. Anyone can improve the overall texture quality but boarding your own ship/fighter and GO OUT?…it’s mind blowing!

• Alex says:

Or rather than my worry being the engine, I’m more worried about a Sim City like reboot.

• Mark says:

They have done it before is was nice but was not to big but it was cool but I agree.

18. jdom503 says:

Man, man, man this is really worth the wait because Dice is gonna rock this! Can you imagine star destroyers that are actually blowing up or structures that can be blown piece by piece till its nothin but rubble. The graphics will be way better than any shooter out there cause in my opinion battlefield trumps cod’s arcade like graphics. Just put the Falcon in the game along with Slave 1, that would be an epic battle! And Wedge needs to be a hero in the game too, Rouge Squadron. Just hope they dont over do it and keep the gameplay simple cause some games over do the game play and ruin it. But i have faith. Wake me up when its time to play!

19. Jefferson says:

Hi! This game will be released for ps3 too? Im searching for informations at Google and it says that the game will be only for ps4, xbox one and PC…. But in wikipedia dont say nothing… So…. I really need it for ps3, i live in Brazil and the price of things are not cool…. Ps3 fat in 2009 costs $2500 i think, today ps3 super slim is $500… So, thank you 🙂

• INgyBAll says:

I hope so to. it should be I heard EA will be supporting current-gen consoles until 2017 and the game should be out way before then

• Jefferson says:

I really hope so too my friend!!! My PS2 console stopped to work.. And now i only have my PS3 and PC… And my PC is not so fun than PS2 (Star Wars Battlefront 2)… 😀

• app2012 says:

I’m positive they will, i remember EA and Disney saying that they wont stop making star wars games for the current generation until early 2017(or something around that time period But the game might be slightly different than the game that will be for the next gen consoles.(and the game probably wont be released until just before the next star wars movie comes out or a while after it comes out, and the next star wars movie wont come out until 2015

20. You know, his comment :

“Hoth, the battle of Hoth. You’ve got space, you’ve got the surface, you’ve got infantry, you’ve got AT-ATs”

really sounds like a confirmation that we’ll be getting ground to space combat. It sounds like he’s talking about one battle where all that stuff will be available.

21. someone177 says:

Any thoughts on when this will get released?

• Nitro says:

There has been rumours of Fall, 2014.. Personally, I’m guessing 2015 sometime.

• Implied says:

Something this big, I doubt we’d see it outside of the Fall period, so likely either Fall 2014, or Fall 2015 is my bet. Probably 2015, as they likely only just got started a few months ago.

• INgyBAll says:

Can’t be fall 2015 i think the movie comes out in late spring so it would probably would be late fall 2014 or spring 2015 just before the movie. games rarely come out after the movies

22. jdom503 says:

I for one think this is a perfect fit but my favorite shooters are Battlefront 2 and Bad Company 2.

23. Tuggie says:

I agree that DICE is the best company for a reboot. It’s a dream scenario if I’m completely honest.

• jumpyhat3 says:

Fall of 2014 would be a perfect time to release star wars battlefront rebooted because it will be the 10th anniversary of the original. Oh,and nice to see Tuugie game reviews back with us the ENTIRE Gloom walkers community missed you……A LOT!!!!!!

• TerrorEend says:

Man, dice making this game is great. I watched all of your episodes Tuggie about Spark Unlimited and such, and I must admit that at the time when they announced they were making Lost Planet 3 (or something, never heard of that game again) I was very dissapointed. (not in you Tuggie, they tricked us all. :P) But now I realise that this is way better than what we had back then. Who would make a better Battlefront? Dice, one of the best studios in the world, or Spark Unlimited, who made some failed games which I can’t even remember? If I had to make a choice between one of those two studios, I’d always choose for waiting one more year, and then figure out one of the best studios on the world is making it.

THIS IS GONNA BE EPIC!

24. Cole says:

I can’t for this game to come out! I hope they make it so we do both land and space battles at the same time! Most importantly I can’t wait till it comes out And what date!

25. Tyler says:

Wow, that’s some great news! One question: Were they talking about this site when they mentioned the blog that asked what we want to see in Battlefront?