Electronic Arts Selected for future of Star Wars Gaming

By Nitro On 6 May, 2013 At 04:05 PM | Categorized As Featured, News, Star Wars | With 2 Comments

Well Battlefrontians, here you have it. It looks like Electronic Arts have been selected as the lucky ducks who get to represent the future of the Star Wars gaming industry. First thing that came to my mind when I thought about EA was that whole Sim City debacle where it basically flopped.. lets hope that isn’t in our future.

Today it was announced that Lucasfilm Ltd. and Disney Interactive are entering into a multi-year, multi-title exclusive licensing agreement with Electronic Arts Inc. (EA) for the creation of new high quality Star Wars games spanning multiple genres for console, PC, mobile, and tablets.

Industry leaders and creators of best-in-class blockbuster games, the development and publishing teams at EA will collaborate with the creative teams at Lucasfilm to provide audiences with all-new gaming experiences set in the ever-expanding Star Wars galaxy. As part of the agreement, EA studio teams DICE (Battlefield series) and Visceral (Dead Space series) will join BioWare (Mass Effect series, Star Wars: The Old Republic) in the development of new Star Wars games.

“Our number one objective was to find a developer who could consistently deliver our fans great Star Wars games for years to come,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. “When we looked at the talent of the teams that EA was committing to our games and the quality of their vision for Star Wars, the choice was clear.”

While EA studios will develop for the core Star Wars gaming audience, Disney Interactive will focus on delivering new Star Wars games for casual audiences on mobile, social, tablet, and online gaming platforms.

“This agreement demonstrates our commitment to creating quality game experiences that drive the popularity of the Star Wars franchise for years to come,” said John Pleasants, co-president of Disney Interactive. “Collaborating with one of the world’s premier game developers will allow us to bring an amazing portfolio of new Star Wars titles to fans around the world.”

“Every developer dreams of creating games for the Star Wars universe,” said EA Labels President Frank Gibeau. “Three of our top studios will fulfill that dream, crafting epic adventures for Star Wars fans. The new experiences we create may borrow from films, but the games will be entirely original with all new stories and gameplay.”

More information, including titles in development, will be announced in the coming months. Continue to check StarWars.com for updates on the future of Star Wars gaming.

So this could be potentially a good thing! According to IGN.com, Frank Gibeau (EA Labels president), three studios are already working on Star Wars games: Battlefield developer DICE, Dead Space developer Visceral and Mass Effect developer BioWare. Lets hope BioWare is working on a Knights of the Old Rebpublic 3! Wouldn’t that be totally sweet.

Thoughts and opinions!

1. drew says:

Please Disney, don’t interfere with the violence of the games, especially not battlefront 3. I also hope the games are very realistic. With lots of clones too.

• Sean says:

I’d honestly prefer Disney make the game over EA. Looking back at past games they’ve released EA has ruined a lot more series than Disney with microtransactions and other things.

2. stashe says:

if they make KOTOR3 and Battlefront3 i would be able to die happy

3. Mime murphy says:

Hmmm, this could be interesting. EA make great games, they also make really games. Along with Pandemic they did Lord of the rings conquest which is absolutely Shite, poor gameplay, poor graphics, poor control, bollocks online mode. Hopefully they will have learned from that and not use the same team to make this.

Personally I would have employed infinity ward, after all they are creators of the most successfull battle game of all time. I bet they’d make an epic star wars game.

And while I’m here, I hope that the fighting is more like bf1 rather than bf2, in bf1 felt more realistic because as you would fight alongside other soldiers you felt like you were part of a team, where as in bf2 you. Felt more individual, which wasn’t helped by the sense that you were the primary target and the opposition would rather shoot you before anybody else on your side.

Also I hope the space dogfights have some sort of resemblance to the x-wing vs tie fighter series. I loved the huge spaces inbetween the huge star ships, being able to reroute power from thruster to shields to weapons, being able to adapt your speed to the ship you’re attacking, thinking you’ve won a battle only to see two star destroyers drop out of hyperspace a couple of miles away. With what consoles are capable of these days I don’t know why the X-wing series isn’t on it.

4. dan says:

Also, does this mean goodbye to Euphoria and dmm? They’re much better technologies than what frostbite has to offer and they’d be so good with battlefront!

5. dan says:

I will be extremely disappointed if they decided to ditch instant action for a purely online game.. Maybe if dice were to go back to their roots and make it like bf2 and 2142 then it’d be much better than this battle field 3 rubbish…

6. jumpyhat3 says:

please ea don’t screw this up we really want a quality battlefront game with massive space battles and ground to air transitions with no slowdown. We also want an offline option to play split screen gameplay who doesn’t want to fight on the death star as luke or even starkiller going into the massive spacestation and crashing his ship right on the emporer face. come on who doesn’t,I know I would.

7. SHAZOOM says:

Just saying, Battlefield 2142 was Bad- and Bio-ware has already done Old Republic so……
    WHI U NO LIK IT

8. EventideOne says:

So….Battlefront 3 on Frostbite 3?

9. IAsh says:

Oh god, I really don’t know how I feel about this. If they change battlefront to first person only (which I’m sure they will) then I’ll be done.

Seriously, I don’t think we’ll get anywhere near the product free radical we’re working on.

But at least we are a step closer then we were in the past 10 years

10. Pest says:

EA is a little pricey, but you can’t say they make bad games. Battlefield is pretty sick and 4 will be different from 3, being that BF3 was rushed up to the last minute and 4 isn’t. EA will make the best Star Wars games ever. Definitely better than the ships they’ve weed out in the last 7 years.

11. Jude says:

DICE Making new Star Wars game, brilliant
    Visceral making new Star Wars game, great
    Bioware making new Star Wars game, wonderful
    But label them under EA, and everyone loses their minds

12. Redline says:

Battlefront 3 is saved.

13. Daniel says:

DICE just has to do a good jump at
    1. Not making 32 player match only (no campaign)
    2. Adding no NPCs to match so we can’t have massive battles with bots etc.
    3. No slipt-screen
    4. Ridiculous amount of customization
    5. Pretty much aiming for a Battlefield 3 with a Star Wars skin. Make along the same lines as the other games.

14. Jake says:

This is incredible news, let’s be honest! I thought battlefront was finished for good and now it has a real chance of seeing daylight, more than stoked 😀 At least we can be sure that the games made by ea will be released at all, unlike many up until now…

15. And I swear…. if they dare have the audacity to produce TFU3 I will just be done with star wars for ever.

16. DerekF says:

There’s a reason that Electronic Arts got the “World’s Worst Company” two years running. EA knows what kind of a cash cow the Star Wars franchise is, and you can bet your bottom dollar that they are gonna try and milk every last penny out of gamers’ pockets. We most likely will get a new Battlefront and KOTOR, but quality will not be at the top of EA’s priority list, instead, they will put more time and effort in figuring out ways to get as much money as they can.

17. Smitty says:

If EA was smart they would make Dice make BattleFront 3 with the Frostbite Engine
    And it would be awesome if they bring back Drew Karpyshyn from retirement to help Write KOTOR 3

18. Austin says:

Come on you dirt bags Ea would not make you buy a in game speeder quit your bitching and take what you get .Ea for all you know will put out the best game ever a nd sell over 20 million units look at dice they will get the job done so . End of your argument

19. Beldepinda says:

We’ll, i dont know if its legal to post links. But I saw a footage of the Canceled game of Free Radical. From what it looked like It was going to be an hell of a epic Game.

Link: http://vimeo.com/65491177

Once again, im sorry if its not legal to post links.

20. James Baxter says:

Good, leave Disney to make the mobile game crap while the other studios make the manly games. I like this idea.

21. Masurao says:

EA..? They gave us Battlefield. ’nuff said.

22. Matt says:

i am a huge lover of battlefront and battlefront 2
    when battlefront 2 came out, i remember how excited i got when i got it
    i have been waiting roughly 6+ years for battlefront 3
    im freaking 17 now
    when disney liquidated Lucasarts, i gave up hope. Im ashamed to say i lost hope.
    Hearing about this deal gives me hope again
    Maybe these companies will understand our cry better than Lucasarts
    NEVER GIVE UP HOPE LIKE I HAVE!!!! lol

23. ggctuk says:

I absolutely love the stereotypical anti-EA drivel being spewed above. They’ve got things completely the wrong way around here, methinks.

• ggctuk says:

And of course, by “above” I mean down below, because it was above when I typed it out 😛

• Jacob says:

this is why I hate EA. This most likely means they’re going to actually take out some key features, sell you the game for full price ($60-$70) and then say something along the lines of “buy the emperor hero for only $15!” I do not trust EA right now. 😛

• Daniel Raine says:

I don’t know what’s worse:
      1. Losing one of my favourite franchises and never seeing it again.
      2. Seeing the franchise remove itself from its original roots in order to be more popular.

With EA the latter is likely to happen. Despite my personal qualms with the business habits of EA (I doubt examples are necessary), I am glad that Battlefront 3 is likely to make an appearance. Truthfully, I’d rather have the game licensed to an out-of-house developer and merely have EA as the publisher, but still. I just hope it’s not crap, or has overly-customized and unbalanced classes like in BF:RS or BF:ES. Let’s just cross our fingers and hope EA does something for the fans ( bold I know ).

What I’m trying to say: EA deserves the crap it gets. The Simcity fiasco, ridiculous DLC pricing, and many other business decisions have made EA resented for a reason. They have made it clear again and again that the customer is not what matters. I wish Disney hadn’t sold the IP to them, but I guess soulless companies have a tendency to strike bargains with eachother.

• Shadow says:

I hope they wont charge 80 dollers

24. Ace says:

Oh come on people! Just a few weeks back you were complaining cause you thought the gaming francise was dead. While EA does make some crappy games it’s better then having some one like Activision. Can you imagin a COD starwars, I would end my life. Plus Bioware made the Knights of the Old republic, which is vastly known as one of the best Sw games of all time next to BF.

25. salty says:

premium is fifty dollars full price. 5 dlc for 10 dollars each. they are aslo not just new maps but weapons vehicles and gamemodes. thas better than paying for three halo maps or cod maps for 10 bucks imo. battlefront snd battlefield are extremly similar games. dice is involved for a reason i have a very stong gut instnict. iyt would on,ly make sense for them to make a bqttlefront three or a battlefield star wars esque game. think about its. FROSBITE 3 dynamicly destrucible enviroments with 64 multiplayer lobbies witht the addition of bots and player bot control stations on flagships space battle oover courscant

26. Ben says:

This is bad news. EA is the sh***** compnay ever…They will ruin our beloved game franchise.

27. Hotrock says:

Next thing you know you have to pay 10$ for a in game speeder.

28. Pest says:

This is probably the best thing to happen to Star Wars in almost 2 decades! EA is currently undergoing an exclusive deal with Sony… So Sony boys get ready for it!

29. James P says:

This has potential to be either amazing or terrible. On the positive side, DICE has much more resources than Pandemic ever had, so the potential for Battlefront III is much higher than ever before. On the negative side, we could get a SimCity 2.0 and the game would basically be unplayable. I’m really hoping EA doesn’t rush this game out and create a glitchy mess.

30. Jack N. Off says:

Well looks like we’ll never get the Battlefront 3 we wanted. I can already see it: Origin only, DRM, micro transactions, Battlefront premium, expensive DLC. Whelp maybe one day, twenty years from now, we’ll get the battlefront 3 we want.

31. Carlos says:

Well Dice creating Battlefront 3 is a definite possibility considering they already made Battlefield 3. and Bioware making Kotor 3 considering they made the original Kotor could be a possibility. As long as SWTOR doesn’t get in the way.

32. Adam says:

Sounds great! I am glad Disney put Star Wars into the hands of experienced video game developers.