Star Wars: 1313 put on hold? Uh oh..

By Nitro On 1 Mar, 2013 At 10:00 AM | Categorized As Featured, Star Wars: 1313 | With 2 Comments

Well Battlefrontians, it looks like Battlefront 3 isn’t the only game that’s getting the shaft. Kotaku.com is reporting that their “sources” have stated that Star Wars: 1313 has been put on hold.

Three unrelated sources familiar with game development at LucasArts have all told us that development on the game has been frozen or put on hold since the Disney company’s November acquisition of Star Wars creator George Lucas’ media empire. That freeze has caused a game that was slated for a late 2013 release on next-gen platforms to potentially miss this year’s E3 and to slide into next year.

When they contacted LucasArts, their response was less then satisfying.

LucasArts won’t talk about the status of 1313, other than to assure us, when we asked, that it’s not cancelled. “LucasArts has been working diligently to take advantage of the tremendous opportunities that the new Star Wars movies present,” a company spokesperson told us, when we inquired about the status of the game. “Star Wars 1313 continues production.”

This came as a huge surprise to me because it was announced as a pretty major game, and it looked to me like it was shaping up to be a potentially great game. With all that said, Kotaku.com had updated their post with a rather coincidental occurrence with Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

Last week’s episode of the animated series, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, was set in… the same location as the game, level 1313 underworld on the planet Coruscant. See for yourself on the official StarWars.com slideshow for the episode. Specifically, slide… 13:

original

Very interesting. Their sources aslo added that Star Wars 1313 was originally planned as an open-world role-playing game in a similar to the Knights of the Old Republic series, which would have been even better! Disney better not screw us.. Thoughts and opinions?

1. Brandon says:

I thought the gameplay was going to be like battlefield except with a more star wars twist

2. Willie says:

Honestly, only Lucas Arts can give us a game like we want. Its a shame that it all fell apart, but Im seriously glad that after 10 YEARS we’ll have a sequel to Battlefront 2! Battlefront 2 was my fav PS2 game. Cant wait for 3 to arrive on Xbox One.

3. Bill says:

I’m not mad but I find it wierd for diney to take over Star Wars. 🙁

4. It’s scrapped and Lucasarts is finished. Disney just announced it

5. Bjerrn says:

I saw last week or so that BF3 will be made, not sure when though. Can’t wait

I don’t really care about 1313, they can trash it for all i care

6. Hey just an idea why don’t we twitter bomb Disney about battlefront 3 cuse Disney won’t allow there new investment if Star Wars to got to waste. Also Battlefront 3 would be a perfect way to boost hype about the new films because battlefront 2 was used to do that for episode 3. Long Live BF3

7. leeroy says:

Hopefully its being canceled for…. Battlefront III maybe? I have my doubts.

• As I said in a previous post, Disney could be trying to involve themselves with Star Wars 1313 so they can completely start over and target it towards younger gamers. Perhaps this is why it’s been put on hold? And while it would be Lucasarts’s greatest success story, and possibly one of the greatest 3rd person shooters of all time, Battlefront 3 seems to be merely a small hope as of yet. There just appears to be way too much going on with Star Wars right now for 1313 to be canned to make another new game in its place. I haven’t given up hope just yet, but I, too, have my doubts.

8. Andrew G. says:

This season of Clone Wars is fantastic! I can’t wait for the finale tomorrow!
    Thanks for keeping us posted on Lucasarts and 1313.

9. Jordan says:

I actually find this good news…. The reason being is that the so called “psychopaths” at lucasarts are getting a taste of there own medicine now from Disney. How? When bf3 was in development, the hard workers at free radical went from working with good people who were dedicated to get bf3 out at lucasarts, to insane psychopaths who were determined to give bf3 a sweet slow death…. So by all means let Disney destroy Star Wars 1313 for all I care x)

10. Roger says:

Bob Iger is crazy cancelling everything…
    Anyhow on the Clone Wars matter I’m kinda annoyed that everywere we look even at starwars.com they say it was on 1313 still if you actually listen to the dialouge in the episode they clearly say it takes place in level 1312 & 1315.