Spark Unlimited & Gamespy = Battlefront 3?

By Nitro On 12 Sep, 2011 At 05:34 PM | Categorized As Featured | With 2 Comments

News has been pretty dry around here lately, so there’s not a whole lot to report on. A great spot by LucasArts board member RED LEADER 3000, shows that one of this jobs (Multi-player Front-End Engineer) requirements is to have experience with “Gamespy Servers”…

“Experience with online game service APIs, particularly Xbox Live, Sony NP, GameSpy, and Games for Windows Live.”

Now, we all remember the big Gamespy find quite some time ago that revealed that GameSpy had Battlefront 3 listed on their servers and as far as I know they are still there.. Can someone confirm this for me?

This obviously doesn’t necessarly prove anything, but it does help solidify our belief that Spark Unlimited’s super secret project is Battlefront 3.

This question was also recently posted on Spark Unlimited’s site:

QUESTION: Can you guys inform me if your project will support gamespy as a booth for online gameplay? Please dont tell me that the answer has to come from the publisher because the question doesnt reveal or expose anything what youre working on. Thanks, James

ANSWER: I cannot release any details about the project which is not already revealed on the website. Such middleware licensing relationships are amno for the marketing and PR folks. You will have to wait for the publisher announcements of such details. From my experiences, I tend to see publishers rollout out such tidbits of information month by month to build awareness and anticipation of a game prior to release. I can’t blow a hole in the publisher’s marketing plans by telling you now.

Hmmm… suspicious? Lets hear your thoughts and opinions!

*UPDATE*

Adrian:

“I tend to see publishers rollout out such tidbits of information month by month to build awareness and anticipation of a game prior to release”

That is excactly what we have seen with the events of gamespy servers. And yes, the gamespy servers is still online, alive and well! They have gamekeys, that is almost like the game is 100% real.

Thanks for confirming!

Thanks to James for asking the question and RED LEADER 3000 for the great spot.

I also just upgraded our forum skin so don’t be shy! Sign up and join ever expanding community!

1. i think battlefront 3 should have republic commados does anyone else think so

2. republic commados should be in battlefront 3 and

3. Nang says:

I’ve always felt this website should have a page hitcount meter, just to show how many people have a vested interest in this game.

4. GWAdmin says:

I was just thinking, would it not be cool if they merged Republic Commando with Battlefront 3? The campaign and story of a Republic Commando game (included are all your trooper modifications and multiple weapons) coupled with the incredible diversity and replay value of the Battlefront VS AI and Multiplayer (as well as jedi, space, and vehicle combat), would be a game of the year candidate for sure.

Just my 2 cents.

• Kal Skirata says:

Sounds awesome!!! Or maybe have a Repub comm campaign and an era or something too. Or have them as playable units…..definitely awesome!

I would personally like Arc troopers and mandalorians involved somehow too…

Just my 2 republic credits

• Adrian says:

Why not have the singelplayer as republic commando, and multiplayer as battlefront 3? But still, ad lots of stuff like the other games had, just expanded.

The wait is over in some months, I hope…

• i agree and there should be level progression

5. Bucky says:

Good news! A new job has been published! Its called the user interface artist check out the details… User Interface Artist Spark seeks a talented User Interface Artist who design, create and implement UI assets for our console game titles. Creativity, innovation, problem solving and craftsmanship are a must! This artist would be responsible for innovating on a polished look, presenting game information in a clear, understandable manner, and maintaining the highest visual fidelity. Working closely with the Art Director, Designers, Programmers and Producers the UI Artist will shape the visual and functional aspects of the game from concept to implementation. The artist must work with Flash, Scaleform and Unreal to insure a competitive aesthetic in both the look and behavior of the interface. ResponsibilitiesDesign look of UI components: Menus, HUD, Inventory, etc. Design visual concept/prototype of the behavior and flow of the UI in Flash. HUD? Unreal Engine 3 experience wanted ? suspicious! SWBF3!!!

6. Viscratus says:

sorry my grammer is terrible

7. Viscratus says:

here’s what i think star wars battlefront needs: it needs to enhance there character personilization feature. like make the player make there own team symbol and make the player custimize there own trooper armor by adding unique markings like clone cammander cody. also make the player add items to there armor like those arc trooper skirts (I think the clone trooper skirts are called kama’s) But there is something there ABSOLUTLY HAS TO BE IN BATTLEFRONT III and that is a capital ship were you can explore and be able to launch instant action missions and training simulation that eliminates the need for a main menu!

• Kal Skirata says:

Like I said on another post:
      KOTOR era, TOR era, 1-6 era, Yuzzhan Vong (or however you spell that) War era. Full Mandalorian wars campaign, Death Star Assault mission, flyable K-Wing (those things are awesome), Republic Commando missions, Arc trooper missions, playable Kyle Katarn, Force Unleashed era, interchangeable sides (clones vs. stormies), full customization, armor that takes damage, destroyable environments, massive online battles, sarlaccs and rancors and krayt dragons…customizable guns and lightsabers and jedi and stuff.

And like you said, kamas and pauldrons. And full character customization with hundreds of options for look alone. For each class. And many more guns. And for the space combat to be as good as Rogue Squadron.

Here’s hoping it’s actually battlefront and not “Lego star wars clone wars battlefront: jar jar binks vs nyan cat special edition” =D

In other news, spark has gotten so comfortable with star wars that they’ve started abbreviating it as SW in their posts.

8. Kal Skirata says:

Another hint from Spark’s twitter!

@DarthSantaClaus The only public information is we went into full production about 6 months. No word on the year(s) in preproduction.

YEAR(S)- All the fall-throughs with Pandemic and Rebellion and Free Radical– It is almost guaranteed to be BF3!

Although I wouldn’t mind having a new Jedi Knight game.

9. Crazy JOE says:

they’ll release more info in 2012. it’s either battlefront3 or a clone wars game. (based on the tv show) Im actually looking for more info on the Star Wars live action tv show about boba fett. that sh*ts gonna be sick!

but heres hoping for battlefront 3.

cheers

10. Paco says:

I want it to be Battlefront 3, I really do, but I have a feeling it’s probably just coincidence. Now even if sparks unlimited doesn’t make the game, it’s exciting to hear lucasarts is planning to make more games. Hopefully they won’t waste the unreal 3 engine on another legos game, though that’d be pretty hilarious. I’ll hold my breath and cross my fingers with y’all but i’m just as excited to see what other games lucasarts may come out with.

11. Patrick says:

I found something interesting on LucasArts website that some others may or may not have noticed. They are recruiting game engineers for first person shooters (Battlefront I & II were both first and third person shooters) as well as game play engineers.

Link:

Hopefully the link won’t expire soon.

12. jjlleskoja says:

well nobody has commented for a while so ill comment

hi

• Kal Skirata says:

Does anyone else think there is a possibility of (survivor) Darth Maul being related to the game at all?

Starwars.com STRONGLY hinted (ie told) that Maul will return for season 4 of CW in 2012, which seems to my right around BF3 announcement.

Any thoughts???

13. Good Apollo says:

I haven’t been on this site in a while, so forgive me if this connection has been made already, but I noticed that in the Job Listings for the “Unannounced” project on the Spark Unlimited website, they have “Senior Unreal Tools Programmer” listed.

This leads me to believe that this game will run on Unreal… obviously. However, the interesting connection has to do with Lucas Arts. I remembered reading a few months back that Lucas Arts had signed a studio-wide contract to use the Unreal 3 Engine. And sure enough I checked today and it’s at the top of their news list: “LucasArts Signs Multi-Year, Studio-Wide Unreal Engine 3 Licensing Agreement”

Just found this to be interesting.

• Adrian says:

In most of the job descriptions it is mentioned about Unreal 3 engine. The fact that the game is a sequel, a sci-fi franchise with a major publisher; It all leads to battlefront 3.

Many people that worked on bf3 does actually work for Spark now 😉

It all is very interesting. Sadly, we will not know anything until TOR is out, which means 3-4 months from now.

14. Obi-Wan says:

COME ON RELEASE IT ALREADY!!!

15. BigBenC07 says:

From Spark’s Twitter feed: “Reveal date is a moving target affected by the publisher’s other products. We just have to wait our turn to take center stage.” and their standard reply: “If you want word on Battlefront, you need to contact LucasArts.” But people who do not specifically mention Battlefront 3 get the “We cannot release one info, any the publisher can.”

I know we’ve had lots of clear cut “This has to be SWBF3!!!” moments, but I think our time has finally come.

• Kal Skirata says:

Yes…everything is falling into place. I would say announcement comes sometime early 2012 (after TOR launches).

I like how practically every other tweet is someone begging for BF3 info 🙂

Kal’buir

16. Kal Skirata says:

From Spark twitter: @akon407 from standard reply: “If you want word on Battlefront, you need to contact LucasArts. ”

“Contact Lucasarts about Battlefront” has become standard reply!? 😀 heh heh heh

Good news!!!

17. Sarvesh says:

I sent this email to Spark U, Hi there,
    I was just curious as to what platforms your unannounced project will include, as the release of the wii u, could mean that you could utilise the ps3 move and the wii U controllers for their motion capabilities in regards to the shooting aspect of the game, of course I’m just assuming their is a shooting element. If this information is still classified, then would you be as kind as to give me a rough date when you will be announcing what the project is.

Just to see if I could get some answers they responded

Thanks for taking the time to write to us. Unfortunately, we are under a strict non-disclosure agreement (NDA) with our publisher and all I can do is reply with a generic response:

We are the solely the developer of games. The publisher is the owner of said properties. All announcements, information and/or materials must come from or coordinated through the publisher.

At this time, we are prohibited from talking about who we are working with or working on either through affirmation or processes of elimination. So, I can neither confirm nor deny what we are working on or whom we are working for. If you want word on Battlefront, then it must come from LucasArts.

Thanks for inquiring. Sorry we can’t divulge nor hint at what is going on here.

Regards,

John

P.s. As our job postings call out, we are using the Unreal Engine 3 to develop the game under. If the engine supports the just announced Wii U and the publisher wants that version, we could easily create one.
    Hope at last

• Darth Slayer says:

You didn’t even mention Battlefront 3 and yet they mention it in their reply…
      SUSPICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!

• GWAdmin says:

I think this proves my previous post a few comments ago…Spark is just giving out a set response for every email, as the only game people think that they are making IS Battlefront 3.

• Adrian says:

They might be giving us hints that the game they are making is BF3. They did not mention Battlefront 3, but they did mention Battlefront.

The force is strong with you, Spark Unlimited.

18. BigBenC07 says:

Seems they already have Comic Con listed, but not E3 or any other conventions….

And yes I know that they are most likely hiding anything leading the the game’s announcement, I’m just adding to the rumor mill.

19. Joey says:

Spark on twitter posted “…announced in the coming months” = “…announced some time in 2012”. This is a direct quote. So therefore we will not know the name of the title until 2012. Hopefully its battlefront. Also if you go to likedin and look up spark most of the hirings occured between Late 2010 and May 2011 which could give us a rough estimate of how long the game has been in production which could also be supported by the fact the game’s reveal will be some time next year and by the sound of it it will be before or around E3.

• Mister Who says:

June 5 – 7.

9 months.

• WhiteFire37 says:

I would have to say i would be willing to wait 18 months, just as long as they put in a tonne of content to keep me playing for at least a year or 2 without being bored, like Battlefront 2 didn’t bore me at all, i played for 2 years without knowing there are mods and maps out there -.-
        I know it is hard to make a game that you could play for literally ages, but honestly LucasArts did that successful with the first and second Battlefront, why not the long anticipated third?

• Doc. Slokes says:

Food for thought.

Wouldn’t it be nice, if we could just make the damn thing ourselves, call it done. haha, to bad we don’t know a bunch of game programmers that can do it….

Best wishes to those who have the game in their possession.

20. chris4335uk says:

MAN this cant come soon enougth

21. tx says:

Also: http://swbfonline.com/battlenews/2011/08/05/battlefront-iii-is-revealed/

Old link, but interesting that the Spark Unlimited rep responded with a mention of SWBF 3 when the original question made no mention of it.

• Adrian says:

WOW!!! Now thats what I call great news!

• GWAdmin says:

Not to rain in on the parade, I have seen this question asked before where the asker DID mention Battlefront 3 specifically, and got a similar answer…

I wish I could get a link to prove this, but I can’t seem to find it anymore, A/V wiped my history 😛

22. tx says:

Another hint: https://twitter.com/#!/sparkunlimited/status/115453808720613376

“Disclosing the publisher would reveal the game. The publisher wants to focus on its current projects now. So no names for now”

23. […] Wars Blu Ray DvDs but Lucas Arts failed at that as well. Rumors have been swirling for awhile that Spark Unlimted are the one's developing the game if anyone is at all. If we look at their history of games it's […]

24. Galacticdefender says:

There are over 900 people playing Battlefront 2 right now on STEAM!!!!!!!!!!

25. GWAdmin says:

I’m not sure if you guys already know this, but LucasArts signed a multiyear agreement for the Unreal 3 engine. This matches the description given to us by Spark, and I am not aware of any other LucasArts games that use Unreal 3.

link to press release

26. Duder says:

Look what I found
    Probably a tie in for the move Red Tails, but Star Wars: Battlefront has a combination of fps aerial combat…

• Kal Skirata says:

You know, if the figher squadron in the movie is indeed the red tails….

I get the feeling that one of them will be denoted by the callsign “RED FIVE”

And probably some TIE fighter noises hidden in the backround sound.

27. WhiteFire37 says:

I bought the Blu Ray Compelete saga 9 disc set and from what i have watched so far i see nothing of even to hint at Battlefront 3! Sad… althoguh i have only watched about 2-3 of the 40 hour length features…

28. william maxey says:

if this is foreal i am gonna spend so much money on star wars. 3yrs hughesnet 3 yrs. i hope this is my ride to the moon….

29. skul says:

found this russian site which says spark unlimited have been given a stand at the gdc 2012 and its been approved by their publisher, you may wanna check it out

• Kal Skirata says:

R2D2, you know better than to trust a strange computer. 🙂

Seriously though, I would be more excited about the completely-revamped (as of today) starwars.com website. I haven’t found any battlefront allusions on the site, but there could be.

Blind we are, if the creation of this [new website] we did not see-Yoda.

• BigMac4547 says:

that’s good because they were looking for a spot/publisher approval but they did say on there twitter account that “there are no announced plans to officially attend or speak at GDC 2012.”
      so who knows if it is true but the fact that they are looking for a approval for GDC 2012 seems to me hat they are close to announcing what the game is going to be

30. Sith Stalker says:

need…battlefrontIII…uhh…dying…must…play…game…
    R.I.P Sith_Stalker :*(

31. Adrian says:

I found some great news now!!!

4 people that worked at Pandemic is now working for Spark Unlimited!

http://www.linkedin.com/in/asunnasy Thats one of them!

And you all know what they worked on before close down? 🙂 (bf3)

32. Austen says:

I usually don’t even bother reading these when there’s a question mark in the title . . .

33. GeneralChaz9 says:

Also LA is having a big sale on their PSP games and TFU add ons… On PSBlog US PlayStation Store Update thread. This is also a pretty awesome find, but we still can’t confirm its in the making! How long has Sparks game been in the making?

34. Adrian says:

35. wookie_fan says:

Thanks for some updates, i was waiting eagerly for a post. Now i’m just waiting for the Blu Ray release & hopefully BF3 announcement

36. Thomsn0w says:

Damn, things are getting real.

37. Sparkster says:

I still don’t understand why people continue to erroneously assume Spark are involved with Star Wars/Battlefront, or LucasArts at all. They aren’t. There’s never been anything remotely hinting at that, either.

Spark’s project is going to be revealed — barring any last minute hiccups on the publisher side — before the end of the year. Best to temper your expectations now.

• Nitro says:

Do you have proof that they aren’t?

• usetheforceluke says:

Well spark has been working with 343i with halo information. It really wouldn’t surprise me if it was something to do with halo. They said month by month. That doesn’t make too much sense if it were SWBF3 due to no announcement at all. it would fit halo anniversary much more.
        Don’t get me wrong,I WANT swfbf3, and I love the hope this community brings, but I just think everyone is looking for something where it is not. Don’t kid yourself. BATTLEFRONT 3 WILL NOT BE ANNOUNCED BEFORE THE OLD REPUBLIC IS RELEASED! not gonna happen, lucas arts will do NOTHING to hurt TOR sales. battlefront 3 i believe will be announced sometime early next year. it isn’t going to happen this year guys. sorry 🙁

• Mentlegen says:

A 3rd person sci-fi shooter with previous games and an awaiting audience. It is FOR a publisher, which means they own the rights. 343 is not a publisher.

It uses Unreal, and is for the PS3, PC and Xbox. That rules out Halo.

• klevland says:

Nice, way to go, u shut that na’saier up pretty quickly! Cant wait for SWBF3, I still play 1 & 2 on my OG XBOX but wasn’t lucky enough to get the DLC when I had the chance. So I’m still stuck with just 1 HERO ASSAULT (Mos Eaisly) The other 4 would be awesome to have plus Kit Fisto & Ventress, Renvor(?) Harbour & Citidal HERO ASSAULTS would be amazing If i had those I could easily (and may still have too) wait another 6.5 years for SWBF3!!!

• chickenfac12 says:

Isn’t Ea making the old republic, I’m pretty sure I heard it switched under their control.

• Sparkster says:

They aren’t. This isn’t an arguable matter; it’s purely a fact. Whether people will accept it or not isn’t my concern, I’m simply telling it like it is.

“Proof” is how I’m able to tell you this. It comes not from second-hand ‘sources’, or random blog discoveries, it comes directly from someone in a position to know.

• Mentlegen says:

Yes they have hinted. 3rd person sci-fi action/shooter with organic, alien and non-organic characters, heroes and a variety of locations.

It is FOR a MAJOR publisher, which means they own the rights to the IP. It is also a sequel, so they have previous games. It also uses the unreal engine.

Only thing which fits is Star Wars. Only thing which it could be is Battlefront 3 or a version of Jedi Knight.

• Adrian says:

Or Republic Commando. Hopefully Battlefront 3!

• Kal Skirata says:

My #1 wanted game is BF3, but Republic Commando would be nice. Then maybe the Star Wars publisher people will finally get a new author to write the final few Imperial Commando books (they already said that Karen Traviss is done with Star Wars). I wanna find out what happens to Kal’buir and his “sons” (you should be able to tell by my screen name:))

• Michael says:

Actually, Halo fits those few criteria pretty well..

• Kal Skirata says:

No, its BF3. Halo (and most if not all other bungie shooters) has always been FIRST person, not third. Plus, Spark’s project is for PS3 (another thing Halo wouldn’t do).

They hinted on Twitter that it would be announced 2012… It won’t be long now!!! *laughs evilly and maniacally* *jumps up and down in glee*
          *pops a copy of Battlefront 2 into disc drive and plays it* 😀

38. Luke says:

I hope Battlefront does indeed come out one day… and playable on my current laptop! XD

39. Tyber Zann says: