LucasArts Signs with Epic Games for Unreal Engine 3
By Nitro On 26 Apr, 2011 At 03:10 PM | Categorized As Featured, News | With 2 Comments

Some pretty good and significant news today as LucasArts and Epic Games shake hands on a lengthy multi-year agreement to use their, “Unreal Engine 3″ as an arsenal for, “multiple projects”. We still have no idea on which games will be developed using this engine, but obviously our Battlefront 3 should be at the top of their list.

I’ve also noticed that Republic Commando 2 has been popping up rumors over the last few months which could be a big contender for this engine as Republic Commando has used the Unreal Engine.

A little bit of information on the Unreal Engine 3:

Unreal Engine 3 (UE3) is a computer game engine developed by Epic Games. It is the third generation of Unreal Engine, designed for DirectX 9/10/11 PCs, the Xbox 360, the PlayStation 3, and OpenGL-based OS (Mac OS X, iOS). Its renderer supports many advanced techniques including HDRR, per-pixel lighting, and dynamic shadows, and builds upon the tools available in previous versions of the engine.

Epic has used this version of the engine for their in-house games Unreal Tournament 3, Gears of War, and an improved version for Gears of War 2. Due to aggressive licensing, this current iteration has garnered a great deal of support from several big licensees, including Atari, Activision, Capcom, Disney, Konami, Koei, 2K Games, Midway Games, THQ, Ubisoft, Sega, Sony, Electronic Arts, Square Enix, 3D Realms, and more.

Source: Wikipedia

A big thanks to Todd and MajorMoses for the heads up!

From Epic Games:

LucasArts Signs Multi-Year, Studio-Wide Unreal Engine 3 Licensing Agreement
Leading developer and publisher to leverage award-winning game engine technology across platforms

San Francisco, CA and Cary, NC, April 26, 2011 — LucasArts and Epic Games, Inc. announce a long-term, studio-wide agreement for LucasArts to develop multiple projects using Epic Games’ award-winning Unreal Engine 3 for the engine’s supported platforms.

“Unreal Engine 3 is a forward-looking solution that shortens the path between inspiration and execution on a wide variety of gaming platforms,” said Zak Phelps, director of technology at LucasArts. “We are thrilled to add another exceptional tool to our technology mix.”

“LucasArts is now primed to capitalize on Unreal Engine 3’s ability to scale across platforms, from mobile, through PC and console all the way up to the next generation of games,” said Mark Rein, vice president of Epic Games. “We can’t wait to see what happens when LucasArts combines their talented workforce and amazing intellectual properties with Unreal Engine 3.”

I would love to hear everyones thoughts on this one! What do you think? Battlefront 3?

1. Jeb Watson says:

Who else thinks that the Frostbite 2 engine would be awesome for battlefront 3? Destructible buildings, huge maps, come on, that’d be sweet. Also, I really want to see vehicles like the republic gunship back on planetside, not just in space. If all the maps were giant like battlefield games, you could have one hell of a battle.

2. shadow says:

Unreal engine 3 or known as udk is a game engine to create games like gaers of war. it is free as a beta at their website just type in udk :}

3. Awesome possum says:

Hey so I may be a little late to the party, but I was just on the website of Spark Unlimited and there was a post for new jobs listing for a console game utilizing the Unreal Engine…does anyone else see a correlation here? Oh and it says the project was greenlit around May 20th, just about 20 days after LucasArts and Epic made the deal. I think this could very well be a good thing.

4. Jan says:

this is getting pretty good, for one reason.
    i take it directly from spark unlimited:
    special project, jobs, senior character artist,
    go to preferred skills:
    unreal engine 3 experience!!!
    whatever game they are making, its using unreal engine 3!
    now, give me 1 good publisher who wants a sequel to a very popular game and has rights to use unreal engine 3? its looking good for battlefront III and/or republic commando!

5. Jericho says:

Has anyone checked to see if Pandemic still owns the rights to Battlefront franchise? This could be a major problem for LucasArts, I just dont believe that they can be this stupid and ignore everyones request for Battlefront 3, so I believe they have run into a major problem of some sort. Any ideas?

6. SemanJones says:

Hmmmmmm Republic commando story maybe with battlefront multiplayer? A theory, sounds like it could happen

7. Clusive says:

Damnit, I just want Battlefront 3. I don’t care what engine they use, I just want bf3, damnit!

8. SCYLINEgamer says:

Ghaa! I didn’t check how old this article was, but regardless I’m still pumped! LucasArts, DON’T FAIL US….

9. Kermit ars says:

Its been Call of Duty for the last few years…….We are bored now.. SWBF3 is what the gaming community needs…. I loved swbf2 on the ps2 Now lets bring it up to date CAN’T WAIT……

10. Hayabusa says:

Battlefront 3, being worked now with Unreal Engine 3 (hoping they make our dream of the game come true) will be a big, fun, never-ending in entertainment game.
    Gotta be 1-4 local console play!
    Are our hopes being answered; our wishes being granted?
    DON’T give up hope!

We need to run around as Clones, Storm Troopers, Rebels, Sepratist, Tuskans, Jawas, Gungans, Republicans, Sith, Jedi, other special goodies and baddies etc, etc!
    2 Vs 2 with your army behind you, 4 on the same team, 1 Vs 3, 1 vs 1. Fighting with your army against another!
    Driving AATs, AT-STs, IFTs, STAPs, Hellfire Tanks, AT-AT etc!
    Flying Naboo starfighters, X-Wings, TIE Fighters, LAATs, Vulture Driods etc! Please!!!

11. Johnny says:

To be honest i don’t care what engine they use. who they team up with, or how much it costs, as long as I get a copy of BF3 I’ll be happy :D. PLEASE LUCASARTS LISTEN TO WHAT YOUR FAN WANT!!!!!!!! OH AND IN CASE YOU HAVEN’T NOTICED FROM THIS SITE…WE WANT BF3!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. AL says:

Hopefully it will also come to the new Nintendo console that will be released in 1 year. XD

13. Dean says:

Never going to happen. There will not be a BF3. Maybe when a next gem system comes out but not now. They’ve had plenty of opportunity but have just decided not to do it.

• Jan says:

not true,
      do you know the history of battlefront 3?
      1 pandemic was going to make battlefront 3 but got bankrupt
      2 activision was going to make it and went pretty far, but got kicked out of the project,why? well they where making, next to battlefront 3, also a game called Haze, and that game went pretty bad, and lucasarts wanted a good battlefront 3 and threw them out.
      3 people starting to think that rebellion was making battlefront 3, but that turned out to be elite squadron.
      4 MY OPINION:spark is making battlefront 3 as we speak ( if im right)
      its so obvious! they want a senior character artist with experience in unreal engine 3 and don’t say just no against it, and now i have talked long enough, tell me what you think

14. Luis E. Morales Falcon says:

I am going to go ahead and say it, it is probably a bunch of Monkey Island games or some reboots or even the dumb Kinetik game. Well, we will see at E3 2011.

15. joe says:

BAttlefront 3!!!!!!!!!! lol. cant wait
    If they make lots of money on it, just think there could be a battlefront 4 sweet. Right. Cant wait much longer. How long its been, since a battlefront was made, 2006. And all they gave us to keep busy is Force Unleashed Sequel!!!!!! Not including those psp boring battlefront.!!! I hope its 1st person. AND It has gone through so many companies,, and I waited so long And I just hope it keeps up withmy expectation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks for keeping us upated keep doing what u do. and continue with it!
    THANKS al ot

16. GeneralChaz9 says:

I dont believe it will be Battlefront 3, but most likely Republic Commando 2. Battlefront 3 seems to early to make. I dont know why, but i dont think the world is ready for it :p

17. PP7Silenced says:

LEGO Star Wars: TCS is the best Star Wars game on the 360/PS3 and it’s a compilation of 2 games from the last generation of consoles. We have yet to get a sequel, re-make, or re-release of anything Star Wars in 5 years. 5 YEARS! TFU were beat em up games with impressive technology but they just weren’t as good as past games. I am 22 and grew up with the SW: special editions and prequel trilogy kick starting a gravy train of good Star Wars games and I feel deprived with this generation of consoles.

We need this announcment at E3 if there is any hope at playing it by Christmas with our Blu-rays.

18. Redline says:

Suprise or disappointment? I’m really excited to find out if Lucas Arts is going to disappoint us again. Still keep my fingers crossed for SW-BF3<3

19. AvianFlame says:

Although UE3 isn’t my preferred choice for games, using it could definitely help kickstart development for a new Battlefront. This excites me!

20. Zeta 25 says:

THEY can’t wait? REALLY?

Well, I’d say WE, THE FANS, have perfected the art of waiting. But still…

I CAN’T WAIT!

Besides, I’m REALLY happy, not only because of the two latest posts, and what they could mean… but because THERE HASN’T BEEN A SINGLE “yea right” OR “you guys are all retarded if you think this game will ever come out” COMMENTS!

In other words, idiot pessamists.

SWBF3 FOREVER!

• Zeta 25 says:

Also, thanks Nitro. Best Fan Site Ever, AND I like it when people appreciate the fans opinions. SO, What do you think about this? Mostly all you say is ‘Let’s hear your thoughts!’ and such, but I’m gonna ask you that now. Any opinion?

• Nitro says:

Thanks, much appreciated. To be honest, I think UE3 is a great engine and would like to see BF3 built on it. (Actually, I’d be happy if it was built on any engine at this point.

• Zeta 25 says:

Yea… me too, as long as its on legit consoles, not handhelds.

If the game IS being made using UE3, how long till we can suspect a realease date,
          A few months, a year?
          Comic Con?
          E3?
          VGAs?
          Other?

• wowirock says:

NITROS THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

• maria says:

There are millions of people waiting for battlefront 3, why hasn’t it been done,i don’t know,its been years,we have been waiting,i really hope they do this proyect,so many starwar fans out there,and no matter how many lego starwars games they make,forces unlished,clone wars games,etc,,nothing will compare to the battlefront series, i dont even care about top notch graphics, just the way the game is,the way it was,is wonderful..we need this game back..make every one happy who ever picks this up..thank you

maria

21. Hayabusa says:

That is an interesting discussion there. I can see –I hope to see Battlefront 3 dawning from this Unreal Engine 3.
    My only additional thought is that Unreal’s game do seem to have a bit of gore in them. You couldn’t really have gore in Battlefront – it’d ruin the humour.
    However, I do hope we see a sign for Battlefront soon!!

• DarthSantaClaus says:

Gore?!
      The mass Effect’s, a few Harry Potter titles, our beloved Republic Commando and Kinect adventures are the best exampes for not really violent and adult-oriented games based on the unreal engine.
      Btw., the engine has really NOTHING to do with this, whether you build a Lego game or a Gears of War game on it, there would be no difficulties with that.

22. Pathfinder says:

Well, I think, it won’t be BF3, but Republic Commando 2, which is on Mass Effect II’s engine promises to be exciting. But “multiple projects” made me hope in other Star Wars’ game, so, it could be a BF3. However, nobody knows

23. Chainsawgrizzly says:

This is the best lead I’ve seen so far. Can’t wait to see what they crank out with this! While it may not be the most cutting edge engine, it doesn’t have to be. I think this will suit Battlefront 3′s needs just fine. I’m also starting to suspect a Republic Commando 2 may also be in the works now…

24. Danny says:

I hope the story is about ARC’s or something. And have a whole new set-up oh and is actually about the troops. This is really promising for Republic commando 2 as well. Now I’m excited.

• Wevans1995 says:

I completely agree, the strength of the battlefront series is it’s focus on seeing the war through the eyes of the troops. I don’t dislike Jedi but I do think it’s more interesting to look at star wars through a different characters perspective. ARC troopers would be an awesome idea. I hope there’s a large campaign and proper ranks in multiplayer this time.

25. mickG says:

boy i really hope this game will live up to the expectation of everyone here, it will have to compete with the likes of halo for the amount of time spent on it, and no jedi, no lightsabers. as a wise smuggler once said “no match for a good blaster at your side kid”

26. y0d499_1337 says:

My God. You guys freaking change your minds so much. I remember when everyone was like, “The Free Radical Version was the best, and they lost that technology.” Etc… If that’s your way of coping with the loss of that BF3, then so be it, but don’t deny its greatness. “Oh, it’s an aged engine” or “Oh, the X2 storyline is terrible.” Just STFU, you know the free radical game would’ve been awesome.

• ShadowNB97 says:

Well I know the game itself would be awesome I’m just saying I don’t like the story itself. The gameplay did look great I loved when he went from ground and into space and everything, but when I got that PSP game and played it I just thought the story aspect was kinda bleh. But I’m sure if Free Radical kept the project the gameplay itself would of been great!

27. mikeytmntff says:

OH MAN NOW I AM PUMPED FOR COMIC CON! I wish i was going.

28. Cperer says:

I’ve Been waiting for this for years. I hope they will create Battlefront 3 I really want to play it. And if they create it they should probably make like 1 giant battle. not 2 separate battle’s. Also it would be great if they would make it like Star Wars: The Clone Wars(those animated series).

Greetings, Cperer(just one of many Star Wars and Clone fan!)

29. ShadowNB97 says:

Spark is using UE3 so there’s another clue! I still strongly believe SWBF3 will be announced!Don’t fail us Comic-Con.

• ShadowNB97 says:

Oh and if has a bigger story plot I want the story to do nothing about being a Jedi. X2 was lame, and c’mon people remember what our true battlefronts were about? Not the hero, but what the brave people in that galaxy who were truly fighting while the so called heroes were doing their thing.

30. Saboteur says:

I am very happy to see this post!

The UE3 is right down BF3 and Republic Commando 2′s ally! And with the comment about them making“multiple projects” is a good sign that this could possibly BF3 and RC2.

Hope for the best!

31. Paddy says:

This is the closest we’ve come to getting a battlefront since the leaked footage.
    Come Lucas Arts, give us what everybody wants.

32. Bob Hardings says:

I say just finish battlefront 3 since they’ve already got it started. Then start from scratch on a battlefront 4. :D the more the merrier

33. avery says:

Spark unlimited is using the unreal engine the clues are pointing towards them

34. metallicorphan says:

great news,and hopefully for BF3

35. NatoPotato says:

UE3 sucks! its horrible on the ps3. im glad some news is coming out but a little peeved its about the unreal engine which is already old hat with what crytek and the frostbite engine can do

36. Wevans1995 says:

This is good news. I definitely agree with building the game from scratch a) the free radical tech is old and b) the whole X2 storyline is terrible. Battlefront 3 singleplayer should be about an ARC trooper or a squad of republic commandos.

37. Balls says:

This is what you people need to wish for. Not that someone else has picked up the FRD Battlefront and will complete it. Lets hope that they are starting from scatch with an all new game and engine. Why would we want what amounts to a 5 year old game at this point if someone was to step in and complete the FRD game? No thanks.

I’d bet battlefront 3 is one of the games that will come of this deal.